Pages

Tuesday 23 June 2015

Saumya Biju- Reflection to the movie review on ‘Premam’ by Gowri N Kishore in ‘The rustle of words’

 Hai Gowri,
Am with you… I’m Saumya, who goes more on air………. Mmm….…also being an RJ, among some other areas I handle as part of my pursuits- more in my capacity as a social being, my reflections mostly goes on air, it never gets solidified on print or page. But today morning, my husband has brought to my notice, ur reflections on the movie ‘Premam’ ( Nivin Pauly block buster as people call it!!!). U were desperately expressing ur alienated feel about the disappointment you had about the movie irrespective of the fact that u are a Nivin Pauly fan and u r an admirer of friend circle movies.
I am not a die hard fan of Nivin Pauly. But I do share high level of expectation, an average Malayali layman has about the hardworking and talented youngster. That too when we are desperately waiting for  fresh faces and young blood to come out with fresh themes, new approaches and inspiring initiatives.
True that ‘Premam’ had been ruling the screens all over Kerala. Thanks to the fresh faces??? Sync sound mixing??? Instant layman comedies??? Nostaljic green canvas… whatever it may be, the drag which I felt in the first quarter (predegree period of hero), got itself a bit alleviated towards the second quarter… though I saw myself watching Nivin Pauly and his friends on screen reminding me of some of my friends at Law College, who used to walk around the college imitating Mohanlals feudal characters which has ruled the screens in the nineties…. At the very same time getting excited about the rendering skills of Vinay Fort, and the actors who did the PT Sir and Jojo. True that I was also finding the performance of all the youngsters in the movie, including Nivin Pauly, quite natural and Yes!!,  they were ‘behaving’ rather than acting, which in turn kept us connected with them, though we never preferred to remain connected with such ‘loose and lazy’ characters,  when in campus.
And now, once out of the cozy, comfortable ambience of Cinemax…, I was feeling dispirited, leftout and disappointed. Why???!!  Ai, am I getting aged- Oh!! Premature ageing !!!?? No!!! Am very much tuned in tune with the pulse of the youth… Apart from my peers, my friends and colleagues are more of teenagers- I get perfectly well with them, their attitudes, reflections and initiatives and its with them I can relate more and communicate more effectively. Inspiring initiatives from the part of youngsters excite me to a great extend and I never miss an opportunity to promote such initiatives personally and also in my capacity as a media person.Then why???!!!!Why am I feeling so dispirited after spending almost  two and a half  hours with youngsters…???!! I slept with heavy feelings….Woke up tired …but with the answer which was as simple as that…..,I felt….!There was nothing in the movie ‘inspiring’ us at any level of experience….Ofcourse, it was an ‘enjoyable entertainer’at many levels, but, not an ‘inspiring entertainer ‘at any level…
To communicate my feeling to my husband and  also to a very close friend of mine who is a youngster ,very passionate about entering into the world of movies, I sought the help of a similie, which,I would like to share with you also dear Gowri….:::”A couple of years back, we had a ‘get together’ of our lawcollege batchmates…A get together of classmates with family…..Lots of expectations, nostalgia, excitement…drove us all into the venue…But, right from hour one, our friends, allowed alcoholic drinks to take charge of all the finer feelings , which were getting stumbled in the obstacles created in their consciousness by the ‘alcoholic kick’…. But to be honest, I should admit, a few of us-which included both males and females, who were remaining live with the nostalgic greens of the campus, were also having real fun, watching our classmates repeating the very same ‘drunk comedies’ we had in the campus……!......Gigglings, blablaings, fooding, singing, dancing…..’bye bye’, nice meeting you all- ‘Au revoir’ – we parted….-Back in my car, I was tired, dispirited, disappointed…… Next day, feedback chats, calls…. Almost all of us- yes, 99% of us shared the same feeling…. ‘Disappointed’….!! Why !!?? Intelligent review by lawmen – there was nothing “inspiring”.
Lawmen or Laymen…- may be, the basic instinct of a normal human being is to “get inspired”.
And Gowri, your disappointed reflection over the much glorified ‘ Premam’ inspired me to do away with my laziness to put my reflections on page. And here I join you dear Gowri, Remaining obliged for the inspiration.
Saumya Biju


3 comments:

  1. Right Saumya, Premam was merely an enterrtainer film, that was accepted by teenagers, and also brought nostalgic feelings to many.......it was good to see many new young faces who were actually behaving rather than acting, but there wasn't any message conveyed thru' the film..........except for the band at one end on the screen throughout the film showing " Alchoholism and smoking is injurious for health"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. very true.....thank uuu so much for responding......i do share ur interesting observation about the message communicated 'in band'..... very smart!!!!!

      Delete
  2. True reflections indeed saumya chechi! I had told my husband precisely the same thing while stepping out of the movie hall. Frankly nothing to be nostalgic at all. Remya Brijesh

    ReplyDelete